School: Cloonlyon G. (roll number 12937)

Location:
Cloonlyon, Co. Mayo
Teacher:
Annie Burke

Filter stories

Back
/ 221 Forward
Resolution: Low | High
Cong

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0116, Page 194

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD. See copyright details »

On this page

Founded by [?] 623 Cong is famous by reason of the Cross of Cong one of the most priceless treasures now in the National Museum Dublin.
This is a processional cross which was made at Roscommon for Tuam by order of Turlough O Connor as the inscription relates to enshrine portions of the true cross sent to him from Rome in 1123 and brought to Cong either by Roderick O Con or or Archbishop O Duffy who died at Cong 1150.
It is made of oak plated with copper and covered in the most [?] of Celtic pattern.
The shafts and arms are studded with precious stones There are also remains of an Augustinian abbey and an Ancient Cross
The abbey was founded by T 12th century There is a subterranean stream connecting Lough Corrib *Misk* in one place where it is

(continues on next page)
Language
English