School: Baile an Daingin (B) (roll number 1676)

Ballindine, Co. Mayo
Séamus P. Ó Gríobhtha
The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0096, Page 773

Archival Reference

The Schools’ Collection, Volume 0096, Page 773

Image and data © National Folklore Collection, UCD.

See copyright details.


Open data

Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

  1. XML School: Baile an Daingin (B)
  2. XML Page 773
  3. XML “Local Liosanna”
  4. XML “Mike O Gréinigh and the Fairies”

Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.

On this page

  1. (continued from previous page)
    It is surrounded water in winter. There are big stones round the side of it. It is like a round little hill. Children were buried there. A washer woman was often heard by the side of it washing clothes. One fair morning a man was out gathering sheep saw it covered with sheets. It is situated in Catherine Keane's land. One grave has four flag stones beside it. The other graves are also marked by stones. There are about fifteen graves that can be distinguished. It is called the lisín.
    Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
  2. Once upon a time there lived a poor widow and her son whose name was Mike O Greinigh. They lived at the foot of Cnoc Mea in a small cabin. One evening after coming home from work she told him to go for the cow. They used to let her up on the hill to graze.
    He said that he was time enough and he did not go for her until it was getting dark. He searched the hill but he could not get her. There was a cairn on the top of the hill which had
    (continues on next page)
    Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
    Louis Mc Hugh
    Branraduff, Co. Mayo
    Bernard Kilkenny
    Cloonmore, Co. Mayo