Available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
- XML School: Baile an Daingin (B)
- XML Page 728
- XML “Old Trades - The Cooper”
- XML “Old Trades - The Basket-Maker”
Note: We will soon deprecate our XML Application Programming Interface and a new, comprehensive JSON API will be made available. Keep an eye on our website for further details.
On this page
- (continued from previous page)oak and sometimes out of ash. He used to put wooden hoops on the barrels also.Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.
- The people used to make baskets long ago. They used to go to the bog and cut a scraw the size of the basket. They used to make the baskets in the house or in the burn. They used to get four strong sally sticks and stick one at each corner of the scraw. They used to stick the sticks at each corner because the sticks could not stand on the ground. They used to stick two more sticks at each corner and other sticks around the scraw also. Then they would get the thinner parts of the sally and weave them around the sticks.
They would keep weaving the thin parts of the sally around the sticks til the basket was made.(continues on next page)Transcribed by a member of our volunteer transcription project.